Taylor demands Albanese repeal âcruel taxâ in return for NDIS bill support
Coalition leader tells Anthony Albanese that delaying change to budget measure is âunconscionableâ
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
Angus Taylor says the Coalition will only support the Albanese governmentâs proposed overhaul of the NDIS if it first removes the âwidow taxâ loophole from its changes to taxing investment properties.
The warning comes as the Albanese government hopes to land a deal with the opposition this week in order to pass the bill in the Senate after the Greens ruled out supporting changes to the scheme that are expected to boost the federal budgetâs bottom line by $37.8bn over four years.
In a letter sent to Anthony Albanese on Monday afternoon, and first reported by The Australian, Taylor said delaying the amendments any further was âunconscionableâ.
âYour government was warned about this problem before the legislation passed. You subsequently promised to fix it. Yet, weeks later, Australians are still waiting for action,â the opposition leader told the prime minister.
âWe note with concern reports that your government intends to address this issue as part of broader changes to the taxation of trusts, which would impose additional costs and complexity on families and small business owners by forcing them to restructure their affairs.
âDelaying the repeal of this cruel tax in an attempt to wedge the Coalition is unconscionable.â
As part of the changes to negative gearing, the government grandfathered existing investment properties owned before 12 May. Rental losses on established homes bought after budget night can no longer be used to reduce tax on other income from July 2027.
However, the law would also apply to a person who inherited their partnerâs share of a property after their death or as part of a divorce settlement, leading to the loophole being dubbed a âwidow taxâ.
The government released an exposure draft of a tranche of tax changes, including closing the loophole, earlier this month, with consultation open until this Friday after the sitting period ends.
Get the most important news as it breaks
Crossbenchers last week slammed the NDIS changes, saying they were going âtoo far, too fastâ and would be âdevastating to the lives of disabled people and their familiesâ.
The governmentâs proposal will tighten the NDIS eligibility criteria and subject all participants to independent functional assessments from 2028.
It will also give the NDIS minister, Mark Butler, the power to reduce funding categories for individuals by up to 99%. The government intends to apply a 50% reduction in individual participant budgets for social, civic and community participation once the bill passes.
Without the interventions, the government estimates the $52bn-a-year scheme will have more than doubled in cost in a decadeâs time.
About 241,000 NDIS participants will be shifted off the scheme by June 2031, after the introduction of the functional capacity test. Those unable to access NDIS funding will be directed to new programs run by the states and territories and jointly funded by the commonwealth.